Sunday, April 5, 2009

Diversion...

Modern dance...not something I have experienced, ever! Went last night to see a friend's production. Unfortunately we had to sit through another performance before her's. I guess I'm not very modern dance educated. The first performance was...I don't reallly know what to say...I'm pretty liberal, open-minded...but this was just disturbing and boring. Lots of skulls (yes. skulls) and discordant voices. Could have been done in 15 minutes instead of 45 F-ing minutes of torture! My friend's performance was, for me, interesting. I'm trying here! As I see it, her dance is like my abstract paintings. I just go to the canvas to see what happens...she goes to the floor to see what happens. Kind of interesting, kind of confusing. I guess the deal is, if you like the "colors" of the dance or painting it's a good thing. Having no background in paintng or dance, I just have to tip-toe through hoping that I don't pick up the wrong salame.

3 comments:

  1. I don't really get interpretive or modern dance, either. Paintings are easier to figure out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. too often, interpretive arts ignore that all art is at its very essence, discipline. Without structure, art is chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burstmode: I guess I just need to let go of the rules. Too many years in parochial school!

    ReplyDelete