Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Haiti, Avitar and an Italian restaurant

Having just read my daughter-in-laws journal post about the needs in Haiti, my heart is once again aching for the Haitian children, their families and the wonderfully selfless people volunteering in Haiti. Just donating money seems so simple and in a way selfish. It's so easy to just write a check. I admire the volunteers who have physically reached out to those in need. Some day, I hope that I will be that brave, that selfless,that loving. Until then, I pray that the angels of peace and safety will hover over Haiti and hold them all to their hearts.

Millions of peple have seen "Avitar". Tonight I saw it. My hope is that the millions who saw it came away with the same message that I came away with. That is actually so unrealistic. I guess I can only hope for 10% of those who saw it receiving the same message. I came away knowing that we have to pay attention. We have to open our eyes. We are all connected, our world, our universe, our souls, all living things. We cannot continue our prejudice and greed. We will destroy this world if we don't pay attention.We must pay attention. We must care. We cannot turn away. We must make the effort. I hope that this will stay with me and that I will make the effort.

Following the movie, we went to a wonderful restaurant. This is a family owned restaurant in a very Italian neighborhood. What a treat! The food is very nice, plenty of garlic and olive oil, and my first taste of fried romaine (olive oil, garlic, and a bit of lemon) loved it! It was the people who were the real joy though! Everyone seemed to know everyone else, and if they didn't they they seemed to really want to. I felt like I was visiting my friend's relatives...and by the time we left I felt like I might possibly be related! Can't really explain it but I'm looking forward to going back, and bringing my family.

1 comment:

  1. I like restauants like that.

    I haven't seen Avatar. I don't seem to be all that interested in movies in general, anymore. I find it hard to make myself sit still that long :-)

    ReplyDelete